Media outlets can request permanent or temporary press accreditation for their correspondents to cover the range of activities taking place at the United Nations Office at Geneva, from meetings of the Human Rights Council and peace talks to other major conferences and events.
Accredited correspondents participate in bi-weekly press briefings chaired by the UN Geneva spokesperson and attended by the spokespeople of UN specialized agencies and programmes based in Geneva. Correspondents also have access to scheduled press conferences, stakeouts and background briefings on an almost daily basis.
The UN Information Service regularly issues press releases and the meeting summaries of major meetings happening in Geneva, including the sessions of the Human Rights Council, the human rights committees, and the Conference on Disarmament.
Facilities for the media include free or rented workspaces and access to radio and television studios and services, upon availability.
UNDP virtual press conference
- Cassie Flynn, UNDP Climate Advisor
OHCHR hybrid press conference
- Michelle Bachelet, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights
Hybrid press conference by the Office of the Special Envoy for Syria
- Geir O. Pedersen, UN Special Envoy for Syria
WIPO virtual press conference
- Daren Tang, WIPO Director General
- Carsten Fink, Chief Economist, WIPO
UNCTAD virtual press conference
OCHA hybrid press conference
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) will present the Global Humanitarian Overview 2021 (GHO) in Geneva on 1 December 2020 at 9 a.m. The GHO is the annual overview of trends and current state of worldwide humanitarian needs, projections and inter-agency response plans. It includes an overview of the funding necessary to implement the plans in 2021.
The embargoed press conference with UN humanitarian chief Mark Lowcock will unpack the current challenges and highlight what is at stake in humanitarian crises worldwide as we enter 2021.
All material is under strict embargo until Tuesday, 1 December at 06.00 CET / 05.00 GMT.
- Mark Lowcock, United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator
UNCTAD virtual press conference
- Richard Kozul-Wright, Director, Division on Globalization and Development Strategies, UNCTAD
- Mahmoud Elkhafif, Coordinator of the Assistance to the Palestinian People, UNCTAD
Hybrid press conference - 2020 Afghanistan Conference
- Abdul Hadi Arghandiwal, Minister of Finance, Government of Afghanistan
- Pekka Haavisto, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Government of Finland
- Ville Skinnari, Minister for Development Cooperation and Foreign Trade, Government of Finland
- Deborah Lyons, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and Head of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Afghanistan (UNAMA)
WHO virtual press conference
WHO launches new recommendations on how to stay active and healthy for everyone. They include specific guidance for women throughout pregnancy and post-partum, people living with disabilities, elderly persons and people with diabetes and hypertension.
- Dr Ruediger Krech, Director for Health Promotion, World Health Organization
- Dr Fiona Bull, Unit head, Physical Activity, World Health Organization
- Juana Willumsen, Technical Officer, Physical Activity, World Health Organization