Services for NGOs
NGOs in consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) may request annual and temporary accreditation at the UN Office at Geneva.
Each NGO can request up to a maximum of 7 annual Grounds passes (through 31 December each year) for its representatives, as follows:
- Two passes are reserved for the President/Chief Executive Officer and Chief Administrative Officer (same persons in all duty stations). Once either of the two are designated and approved in a duty station, the NGO is considered accredited for that year in that duty station. Failure to nominate at least one of the two will prevent approval of any request for passes for other representatives;
- One pass for the Main representative;
- Up to four passes for Additional representatives.
In line with the procedure at the UN Headquarters in New York, NGOs may also request up to a total of 9 temporary Grounds passes at UNOG in any given year. The duration of the temporary Grounds passes is for a maximum of 3 months at a time.
While in possession of a UNOG Grounds pass, NGO representatives obtain access to the Palais des Nations premises. However, some official meetings and UN events may require additional online registration through the UNOG’s online registration platform Indico.
Holders of UNOG Grounds passes are subject to relevant UN rules and regulations and must fully comply with the processes and directions set forth by the UNOG Security and Safety Service and the NGO Liaison Unit.
For more information on how to request accreditation at UNOG as well as on the General guidelines for representatives of NGOs accredited at UNOG, please consult:
- Login into the iCSO database and follow the links to Consultative status, Designations, Geneva.
- Pre-register the President/CEO and/or Chief Administrative Officer’s details.
- Pre-register other NGO representatives.
- Send a formal designation letter and a copy of the signatory’s passport to the NGO Liaison Unit – preferably by e-mail (email@example.com) – at least one week before the desired date of entrance to the Palais des Nations:
To get more information on how NGOs can reserve a meeting room and related meeting services at the Palais des Nations, please visit the step-by-step guide for meeting organizers.
Find the Centre for NGOs:
The Centre for NGOs at the Palais des Nations, located in Room E.2079/1, Building E, Level 2, is at the disposal of Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) (view map of the Palais).
Space and Equipment:
The Centre is comprised of computers with public WIFI, a reading area with a documents reference library, and a meeting area for up to 15 persons.
The semi-private meeting area in the Centre for NGOs can be booked for private meetings of up to 15 people. These meetings must be in line with the United Nations purposes and objectives, as defined in the Charter, and must be strictly non-commercial. The meeting area cannot be made available for NGOs to conduct their own organizational business or advance their own purposes and aims. An NGO organizing a meeting in the Centre is exclusively responsible for its meeting.
Participants of meetings held in the Centre for NGOs must be in possession of grounds pass for the Palais des Nations.
The NGO Liaison Unit is the focal point for matters on relations between the United Nations and civil society in Geneva. The main functions of the NGO Liaison are based on ECOSOC Resolution 1996/31 which sets out the arrangements for consultation with NGOs. These functions include:
- Providing information, assistance, and guidance to representatives of NGOs on opportunities for engagement with the United Nations and on issues under consideration by appropriate United Nations bodies;
- Facilitating the participation of NGOs in meetings at UN Geneva, as set out in ECOSOC Resolution 1996/31, including authorizing and organizing appropriate accreditation;
- Arranging informal discussions and participating in events on issues relating to engagement between the United Nations and NGOs;
- Assisting NGOs in their requests for ECOSOC Consultative Status;
- Assisting Permanent Missions with information on the relationship between the United Nations and NGOs;
- Maintaining liaison with the United Nations family in Geneva on civil society matters.
NGO Liaison Unit
Office of the Director-General
Palais des Nations
1211 Geneva 10
Tel: + 41 (0)22 917 13 04; 917 21 78 - Monday to Friday: 9.00 to 11.00 a.m. and 2.00 to 4.00 p.m.
Fax: +41 (0)22 917 05 83 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org