The decoration of this charming little room, a project of the architect Aleksandrs Birzenieks from Riga, was a gift of the Republic of Latvia in 1938. All the components were prepared in Latvia and transported to Geneva in July 1938, where they were assembled over a six-week period. The harmonious contrast between the three colours - green used for the ceiling and the higher part of the walls, golden yellow for the furniture and the panels, and black for the floor and the doors - strikes the visitor. The space between the two windows is covered by a large mirror, composed of 15 parts. On the left side of the wall from the entrance, there is a triptych designed by the painter A. Cirulis and realized by G. Kunartis and representing scenes from popular life. Five young Latvian women dressed in their national costumes are depicted, in a pleasant rhythmic movement, holding in their hands agricultural tools.
In 1993, on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of its independence, the Republic of Latvia restored the entire room, after an unsuitable installation in 1966-1967 of simultaneous interpretation booths. The work was carried out by the architect Viesturs Vilks and involved the restoration of the floor, the lateral panels and the entrance door, the replacement of the curtains and the removal of the interpretation booths. The work spanned a period from 15 October to 22 November 1993. However, the room was inaugurated on 18 November 1993 in commemoration of the anniversary of the independence of Latvia.
In 1995, within the framework of the celebrations for the 50th anniversary of the United Nations, new furniture for this room was offered by the Republic of Latvia. The new furnishing - comprising of a large conference table with 20 chairs placed in the centre of the room, a sofa with 4 armchairs and a small table on the side - was envisaged for the dual use of the room either as a small meeting room or as a reception room for Heads of State and special guests. The renovated room was inaugurated on 6 July 1995.