This square room opens directly off the Council Chamber through double doors of bronze. It has no gallery and no interpreters’ booths have been installed, which means it has been preserved virtually in its original state.
The panelling and furnishings were made in 1935 by the Vienna furniture-makers Kunstmöbelfabrik Felix Jaray. The room is fully lined with panelling on all walls, in African pear wood, extending over the ceiling; like the three big walnut tables arranged in horseshoe formation, it was produced by Felix Jaray. The remaining furniture was made in Switzerland. There is wall seating on three sides of the room. The Government of Finland donated four sets of hand-woven curtains, one of the country’s specialities, but because of their great age they had to be replaced. The floor is covered with a remarkably fine carpet donated by Iran in November 1935.
The room was redecorated in 1991, when the original lighting, by then quite inadequate, was replaced and two ceiling lights were specially made. The seven wall lamps by Jean Perzel were retained.