Welcome to the United Nations
Take a tour of the Palais des Nations and learn about the United Nations and the UN's work in Geneva. Our tour guides will inform you about the organization and its activities to maintain world peace, foster international relations and development.
You will discover the Palais des Nations, a unique building, formerly the headquarters of the League of Nations. The Palais des Nations, an outstanding testimony to twentieth century architecture, is situated in the beautiful Ariana park in Geneva, Switzerland.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and ongoing renovations in the Palais des Nations, our tour offers are limited and subject to changes. Please read the below information carefully and check this page regularly for updates.
Please note: Visitors are kindly requested to wear masks on the compound of the Palais des Nations.
Before the tour
Once you have your ticket(s)
As soon as you receive your ticket(s), every person in your group needs to register for an access badge. Your will receive your access badge upon arrival at the Palais des Nations on the day of your tour. Please register as soon as you receive your ticket(s) on Indico, our online registration system.
On the tour day
- All visitors must carry a valid passport (UN Member or Observer State). ID cards from the Schengen Zone are also accepted. Passports or ID cards will be checked at the entrance gate (Pregny Gate).
- Please be at the Pregny Gate 45 minutes before your tour to allow time for security screening and transfer to the Visitors’ Center.
The guided tour lasts for approximately one hour.
Groups can reserve a tour in numerous languages, including Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Dutch, English, French, German (and Swiss German), Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish and Slovak.
- Adults (Ages 18+): 16 CHF
- University students, senior citizens and disabled persons (University students must show valid student ID): 13 CHF
- School Children and Youth (Aged 6 to 17): 10 CHF
- Teachers (For every 10 school children booked, - 1 teacher is free. Extra teachers should be booked as adults): Free
- Private VIP Tour: 280 CHF
- The Human Rights and Alliance of Civilizations Room, decorated by famous artist Miquel Barcelò.
- The library of the Palais des Nations and the UN Museum.
- Part of the Ariana Park and the monument commemorating the conquest of outer space.
- A film about the history and features of the Assembly Hall, the largest room in the Palais des Nations.
- The plaza and entrance of our new state-of the-art and sustainable Building H.
- You will discover the Sustainable Development Goals.
- You will learn how a conference works at the United Nations.
Transports Publics Genevois
Palais des Nations transit stops are Appia and Nations.
Access from Cornavin railway station:
- Bus lines 20, F (“Appia” stop)
- Bus line 5 or tram line 15 (“Nations” stop), then a 5 minutes’ walk to Pregny Gate
Access from Cointrin airport:
- Bus line 5 (“Nations” stop) then a 5 minutes’ walk to Pregny Gate.
- Other bus lines with stop at “Nations”: 11 and 22.
In Geneva, unireso public-transport tickets must be purchased prior to boarding a tram, bus or ferry. Ticket machines are available at most stops. Travel cards or passes can be purchased at the main TPG centres (Rive, Cornavin and Bachet de Pesay) and at newsstands (including at the “Naville” kiosk in the Palais). Please note tickets are not available on the bus itself. Hotels, youth hostels or campsites typically offer a Geneva Transport Card, which allows use of public transport in Geneva free of charge during the period of stay.
The meeting point for guided tours is our information booth of the Visitor’s Service at the “Pregny Gate” entrance of the Palais des Nations, 14 avenue de la Paix, 1211 Geneva (we are next to the Geneva Hotel School on avenue de la Paix). Please see our map of the Palais des Nations for guidance.
Please arrive 45 minutes before your tour.
Effective Tuesday 3 May 2022, the majority of COVID-19 measures at the UN Geneva premises have been lifted. All persons at the UN premises continue to be encouraged to observe safety and hygiene measures.
Access to the Palais des Nations premises is not authorized for any person who has tested positive for COVID-19 within the last five days. It is also not permitted to come to the UN premises if you have any cold-, flu- or COVID-19 like symptoms, however mild (even after a negative COVID-19 test result).
Please visit this page before your tour as these regulations may change depending on the health situation.
Official Holidays for 2022 at the United Nations Office at Geneva:
|Monday 3 January New Year’s Day||Monday 11 July Eid al-Adha|
|Friday 15 April Good Friday||Monday 1 August Swiss National Day (Observed)**|
|Monday 18 April Easter Monday||Thursday 8 September Jeûne genevois|
|Monday 2 May Eid Al-Fitr (Observed)*||Monday 26 December Christmas Day|
|Monday 6 June Whit Monday|
Visitors should plan for approximately 40 minutes for security screening upon arrival.
Visitors should not be carrying luggage or large bags.
Due to certain events, Visitors’ Service may need to close at short notice, this will not concern pre-registered groups. Our tour route and schedule may be affected by certain meetings, meaning some rooms may not be accessible, without prior notice.
Please check the updated security information before your tour.