Official and Affiliated Users
- Staff and former staff of the United Nations, specialized agencies and international organizations
- Diplomats and staff of Permanent Missions
- Conference delegates
- Representatives of non-governmental organizations (NGOs)
- Journalists accredited to the United Nations
Official and affiliated users, who have a valid official identification badge issued by UN Geneva Security and Safety Section, can already access the Library & Archives premises. To start using the Library & Archives collections and services, such as ordering material online, official and affiliated users will need to register for a library user account.
Use our online form to request your library user account (please indicate the expiration date of your current UN official badge in your message). If you prefer, you may also register on-site, at the library loans desk (B Building, 1st Floor, B.121).
Registration form for official and affiliated users
The Library & Archives are also open to external researchers who wish to use our resources and services:
- University-level and graduate students (secondary school students are not admitted)
- University scholars, independent researchers and historians
- Professors and members of the liberal arts professions (doctors, lawyers, economists, etc.)
- Librarians, documentalists, archivists
External users need a Library access badge to access the library & archives, and a user account for access to our services and collections.
All visitors must have a valid identification document (passport, or identity card). Students and researchers should also provide a valid student card or a letter of recommendation from their university or research institute.
Registration steps for external users
- Fill in our online form to request access to the library & archives, at minimum one working day ahead of your visit.
- Come to the Palais des Nations (at the Pregny Gate, Building F, 8 - 14 Avenue de la Paix, 1211 Geneva 10) with a valid passport or identity card + a valid student card for students to get your library access badge.
- Once you arrive at the library, finalize your registration and open your library user account at the loans desk (B Building, 1st Floor).