Online reference service
Ask a Librarian
Use our Ask us online form, or our chat service, to send your question. A team of specialized librarians is always ready to assist you with your research.
Databases and e-journals
Most databases and e-journals are automatically accessible at UN staff offices in the Palais des Nations. Staff may inquire regarding options for remote access while on mission, or telecommuting. Use our dedicated guide to contact us about this service.
Full-text access to most of those electronic resources is only available within the Palais des Nations via the public workstations available in the library reading rooms, or via the Wi-Fi connection in the Palais des Nations and in our reading rooms.
Catalogue and Online loan requests
The Library online catalogue Global Search is accessible from anywhere. It includes descriptions of books, journals, and UN publications available in print at the Library, and our collection of e-journals, articles and e-books. It also presents the artworks collection of UN Geneva.
Online loan requests of print material are available through the Library catalogue for all registered users.
- UN staff members can receive and return the material through internal mail (UNOG Library, PN, Office B.121).
- Representatives of the Permanent Missions can borrow and return the material from the Loans desk (B Building, 1st Floor, Office B.121).
- Borrowed material can also be returned in one of our return boxes at door E.40 of the Palais des Nations, and on the 1st Floor of the Library, B Building.
- Other registered users can place requests online and consult the print material at the Library. It’s also a good opportunity to browse the recent acquisitions readily available on the shelves of the reading rooms.
Easily find print and electronic resources on specific topics via our Resource Guides.
Circulation of periodicals
UN staff working in the Palais des Nations may request to receive in their office current issues of some specialized periodicals. Use our Ask us online form to request this service.
Suggestion for acquisition
You can suggest books and journals for acquisition. Suggestions are evaluated by the Library Acquisitions’ Committee which decides whether or not to buy the material. Use our Ask us online form to send your suggestion.
Inter-library loan service
The Inter-Library loan service allows UN staff and representatives of Permanent Missions to borrow materials which are not available in the Library collections. Use our Ask us online form to request the material.
In addition to these online services, you will always find librarians on-site to
- Answer any of your questions, specialized librarians are always ready to assist you with your research. Do not hesitate to ask for help.
- Offer an "on-the-spot" training whether you are a new user, or need advanced search tips, do not hesitate to ask a librarian for guidance.