Celebration of the International Day of Persons with Disabilities 2021
United Nations Office at Geneva
3 December 2021
Programme of Activities
Welcome to the Visitors' Center by members of the Disability Inclusion Team, Building E
Speech by Ms. Kira Kruglikova, Director of the Conference Management Division and Head of the Disability Inclusion Team, UN Geneva
Speech by Mr. Serge Mimouni, Director of the Department of Social Cohesion and Solidarity of the City of Geneva
Guided tour of the Palais des Nations
Coffee and croissants at Bar Serpent
End of program
The rights of persons with disabilities at the United Nations
- Geneva is the seat of the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The Committee is composed of 18 independent experts from various countries who question governments on their compliance with their obligations under the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- The Committee's meetings are accessible. They are broadcast on the Internet with subtitles and interpretation in international and national sign languages. Documents are available in Braille for committee members who need them.
- In some cases, such as when governments fail to respect the rights of persons with disabilities or ignore their concerns, persons with disabilities can address the Committee directly.
- The Human Rights Council holds regular accessible meetings, especially when the rights of people with disabilities are discussed and in other cases.
- The United Nations has published guidelines on the use of inclusive language, in all 6 official languages of the organization, including French.
- The UN Disability Inclusion Strategy adopted in 2019 aims to ensure the full participation of people with disabilities in all UN activities around the world and to leave no one behind.
Inclusion at the United Nations Office at Geneva
- The ongoing renovation of the UN's historic buildings is introducing significant improvements in accessibility.
- In Geneva, the Disability Inclusion Team organizes events to celebrate the various international days that aim to raise awareness of the importance of rights and inclusion for all.
- The team ensures accessibility in the workplace and encourages all staff to consider the rights and needs of people with disabilities.
For more information, visit our accessibility page.
Do you have any questions? Please feel free to contact us by email at email@example.com.